What is a CSCS Card?

Request details about our courses

If you have any questions about any of our services or courses & would like us to contact you, fill out our simple form below and one of our team will be in touch

A CSCS card is a certification that proves that you have the required training and knowledge to work in a particular industry. There are many industries that require a CSCS card, such as construction, engineering, warehousing, etc. The card also indicates that you are aware of health and safety regulations in the workplace. To get a CSCS card, you need to pass a test that covers the relevant health and safety regulations.

CSCS cards are an important part of working in many industries. They help to ensure that workers are properly trained and aware of health and safety regulations. If you are looking for work in one of these industries, be sure to get a CSCS card.

What is a CSCS Card used for?

A CSCS Card is a card which proves that the holder has the required training and certification to work on construction sites. It is used as proof of competency in health and safety, and many industries such as construction, catering and facilities management require their workers to hold a CSCS Card.

What industries use CSCS cards?

There are loads of industries that use CSCS cards, for example:

  • Construction
  • Warehousing
  • Marine/Dockyards
  • Farming & Agriculture
  • Waste Management
  • Lifting/Heavy Plant

To list a few. If you’re not sure whether your industry uses CSCS cards, have a quick check with your employer or the relevant trade body.

Types of CSCS card (colours & levels)

There are different types of CSCS card, each with its own colour and level. The type of card you need will depend on the job you are doing. For example, if you are working as a labourer, you will need a ‘Green Card’. If you are working as a bricklayer, you will need a ‘Blue Card’. There are also CSCS cards for management and supervisory positions.

Green CSCS Card – Labourer Card

The Green CSCS card is for labourers and is designed for construction labourers to be employed and carry out various manual labour jobs on construction sites. The Green CSCS card is the minimum card required for manual on-site work, and owners must have passed an NVQ Level 2 Course as well as pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test.


Red CSCS Card – Experienced Worker

The Red CSCS card is for “experienced workers” and shows that you may have on-the-job experience but no qualifications. In this case, this CSCS card can be used to prove your experience to support employment.

It is worth noting that this CSCS card is only valid for one year and cannot be renewed, as it is intended to be a temporary card while you take your construction-related NVQ. If you hold a Red Experienced Worker CSCS card, you are expected to be working towards an NVQ level 2 or higher.

There are also Red CSCS cards for a: Trainee, Apprentice or Industry Placement.

Blue CSCS Card – Skilled Worker

A Blue CSCS card is the skilled worker’s card for professionals, such as plumbers, bricklayers or plasterers. The blue CSCS card typically shows that you have specialised in a certain area and require a related NVQ level 2.


Gold CSCS Card – Supervisor

A Gold CSCS card is for supervisors and shows that you have achieved a construction-related NVQ Level 3 or approved apprenticeship. Once a Gold CSCS card has been achieved, it demonstrates that you have the skills, knowledge and experience required to be able to supervise colleagues on a construction site.


Black CSCS Card

Finally, the Black CSCS card is designed for people working at a managerial level and have either achieved a related NVQ Level 5, 6 or 7 in the relevant area or are holding a pre-existing NVQ Level 4 in construction management.

Black CSCS cards outline management experience and competency and show that you can both work safely and manage a team.

Is an NPORS card the same as a CSCS card?

Essentially, a CSCS card and an NPORS card are the same thing. To be specific, a CSCS card stands for “Construction Skills Certification Scheme” and is tailored toward construction workers. An NPORS card stands for “National Plant Operators Registration Scheme” and is designed for plant operators. However, an NPORS card is an approved CSCS partner card scheme and both CSCS and NPORS cards should be accepted when presented at site gates.

How to get a CSCS card

To get a Green Labourers CSCS card, you must have two things:

  1. A QCF Level 1 Award (or equivalent) in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment
  2. Complete the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test (HS&E).
    Firstly, if you have a QCF Level 1 Award then you will be able to book to complete the CITB HS&E test and once passed, order your Green CSCS Card. If you don’t yet have a QCF Level 1 Award then you need to acquire one or complete an equivalent test such as the NPORS Construction Safety Awareness Course (S001), which is a full equivalent to the QCF Level 1 Award Health and Safety in a Construction Environment provided by CPN Training.


A CSCS card is a certification that shows that you have the required skills to work safely in the construction industry. There are different types of cards depending on your experience and qualifications, but all of them demonstrate that you know how to stay safe while working. The best way to get a CSCS card is to take an approved safety course and pass the CITB HS&E test. After that, you can order your card and start working in construction!


Other News

Why On-site Training Is Crucial for the Construction Industry

In the rapidly evolving world of the construction industry, safety remains a paramount concern. Construction sites are rife with potential hazards, from heavy machinery and high-risk activities to the use of hazardous materials. It is these inherent risks that underscore the absolute necessity of proper training for all workers on a construction site.

Read More »